[obol] Timber area birding: Mountain Quail, Northern Pygmy Owl and Ruffed Grouse (PHOTOS)

  • From: Khanh Tran <khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:26:24 +0000

Hi Obolers:

Yesterday during the intermittent rain breaks, a friend and I birded around the
Timber and Manning area in the afternoon for some target birds.
Birding was quite slow but we managed to find a few, nifty birds.  Best birds
were a cooperative NORTHERN PYGMY OWL that was hunting about 5 feet from the
ground.   En our way out of Johnson Rd, there was a beautiful RUFFED GROUSE.  A
few Sharp-shinned Hawks were cruising near the top of Round Top Rd.

We were lucky to stumble upon some decent visuals of MOUNTAIN QUAIL near Round
Top.  Those birds can be quite skittish and not surprising with all the hunters
around.  It was my friend's 600th ABA seeing these beautiful quail---a special
moment indeed!  A very enjoyable, fun day spent in birding in the 'high'
elevations of Washington County!

High elevation birding can be quite rewarding if you put the effort into it.
Hope you had a fantastic summer, and September and parts of October was just
fabulous for dry weather and comfortable temperatures.

Here are some updated photos of the Northern Pygmy Owl as well as some other
high elevation species (Boreal Owl, Spruce Grouse, White tailed Ptarmigan, and
Gray-crowned Rosy-finches--both subspecies).  Hope you enjoy the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23662496@N02/

Peace, love and good birding,

Khanh Tran

www.ktbirding.com