[obol] Tierra del Mar Snowy Plover- Yes (Bayocean Spit- No)

  • From: Jen Sanford <jjsanford@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:09:14 -0700

Hi all,

I spent two and half hours walking the beach on the west side of Bayocean
Spit in Tillamook this morning and turned up zero Snowy Plovers.  I did
have 4 BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS and 7 SANDERLINGS but those just aren't the same.

I checked out Tierra del Mar for the first time and walked north from the
"car entrance" to the beach for about a mile, maybe longer (Russ is right-
it's a bit of a hike) , before finally seeing a juvenile SNOWY PLOVER
perched up on top of the dune that peaks down the middle of the spit.  I
took a few photos but the bird seemed pretty skittish, so I left it alone
after only a couple minutes.  I could only make out a yellow leg band on
the right leg, and maybe a grey/silver one on the left.  Photos on my
Flickr if you want to see:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stoptellingmeitsokay/

Good birding,

Jen Sanford