[obol] Three owl night, thanks to waking early

  • From: Bob <rflores_2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tweeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 09:13:49 -0800

Woke at 1:00 am and decided to owl a bit.  I went to a location where Randy
Hill had a report of a calling western screech owl.  I did not hear that or any
other owl.  I did though experienced a young man driving up quickly, about 2:30
am, and stooped the car about half a block from me and just sit.  I had been at
that spot for a while and decided to leave as I drove past the car the guy was
slumped over the wheel asleep!  Or passed out 2:30 am hum?  I then decided to
go to Ridgefield and made several stops along NW 289 and 291st Streets with no
owls detected.  I arrived at the corner of NW 291st and Main St near the
Ridgefield NWR office.  I listened for a while with no calls then decided to
play a western screech owl call.  To the north a Norther saw-whet owl (#136)
called twice.  This is an area I have had them before in the past.  The owl
quite calling soon after responding when two great horned owls began calling.
I then went to the opposite end of Main St to a small overlook (the refuge) and
sat listening i had two great horned owls calling here.  I thought it was a bit
early to get a barred owl but decided to go to Krieger Rd where one had been
reported earlier and even with playing a song I had no luck no owls called at
all.  On the way to this location on Hillhurst Rd ( NW 31 St) just north of NW
221 St a barn owl was sitting on the fence along the road edge.  After whiffing
on the barred owl I decided to head to Green Lake, still on Krieger, and when I
arrived at the parking lot where Whipple Creek crosses the road I had three
great horned owls calling.  I again played a barred owl song with no luck it
also did not effect the great horned owls which I was concerned about but also
curious what would happen.  I was surprised by the result.  I tried for owls
close to my house on Gee Creek with a single great horned to only owl heard.
It being 4:30 am I went to sleep waking just recently.

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA
Sent from my iPad