[obol] Re: Thoughts about entering my data on eBird

  • From: Dwight P <gpic4dp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:13:42 -0700

Or you can enter your old data when it's raining and you are inside anyway.

Ebird has a new "historical" observation choice for when you can't estimate
time and distance.

If you share your data with ebird then it's there for as long as ebird is
around, and since Cornell probably has a pretty decent endowment there's a
chance your data could be around for a very long time. Think of it as a
contribution to citizen science.

Also, why not start entering your current observations and see how it goes?
Maybe you will decide to start entering the old ones too.

I'm using ebird a lot more than I used to, it's more birder-friendly thanks
to the hotspots and location explorer features. Yes I have to jump through
their hoops with entering time, distance, etc. but I see it as a citizen
science contribution.

Good Birding,

Dwight Porter
Portland, Oregon

And worst of all, for every minute spent entering data, you wouldn't be in the
field collecting more data and new memories.  Uhg.

Mark

Mark A Gonzalez
Bend, Oregon