[obol] The popularity of the Tundra Bean-Goose

  • From: "Harris, Dawn" <dawn_harris@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:21:34 -0800

A few people have inquired about the popularity of the Tundra Bean-Goose at
Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge.  In a few days the goose will have
been around for a full month and it has certainly generated a buzz in
Pacific City, Oregon and across the nation.  Most recently it was the
featured Rare Bird of the Month in a national web-based publication written
by Wayne R. Petersen and Paul J. Baicich called Birding Community
E-Bulletin. See archived editions at
http://refugeassociation.org/news/birding-bulletin/.

The national wildlife refuge volunteer who first discovered the bird, Lee
Sliman, has been busy keeping track of visitors. Some of you may have met
her during a trip to see the goose.  This afternoon she wrote a summary
about bean-goose visitors.  Take a gander (pun intended) at the statistics
for the month.

*Adding up the notations from my calendar and reviewing the sign in book
brings the number of visitors to 772. We can easily add a couple of hundred
more as I have been absent a couple of days and one Saturday...I don't
catch everyone and some people don't sign the register.  We’ve had
international visitors: one from Nayarit, Mexico and another that arrived
this Sunday at 7:30 AM from Vancouver, BC who ‘drove straight through.'
 The Haywards, from Cambridge, Massachusetts signed in and I have seen
plates from Nebraska, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Some anonymity is apparent on the sign-in sheet as in the entry simply
labeled “Hardcore Listers - 3 in party from Colorado.”  As expected the
majority of our visitors are from all over Washington & Oregon.  A few have
ventured up from Californians and oh yes a Chapel Hill, North Carolina
visitor who confessed to being in Portland for business but couldn't resist
the side trip.*

Dawn Harris
Visitor Services Manager

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Oregon Coast National Wildlife Refuge Complex
2127 SE Marine Science Drive
Newport OR 97365
541-867-4550

LIKE us: www.facebook.com/usfwsoregoncoast