[obol] The armpits are proof LBD vs SBD

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:26:44 -0700

https://picasaweb.google.com/101700670573128910486/Underwings?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLzS_cWF5pTweg&feat=directlink

Click on link above (only3photos this time!)

Bob Archer asked if I was certain these were long billed, not short billed
dowitchers, so I searched all 3000 photos I took last week,and found these
birds with wings extended.  My vote is gray armpits, not tiger striped armpits
(short billed) so I think they are long billed dowitchers.  Actually the proper
term  is "the underside of the tertials", not armpits!

Stephanie Hazen
Salem