[obol] Re: The Five Coolest Sounds in Nature

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Oregon Birding On Line'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:37:05 -0800

I was out of town when this thread started – thanks to whomever got it going.
My five have a (mainly) East of the Cascades bent.

1.       The song of the Canyon Wren breaking the silence here in canyon
country.

2.       A Townsend’s Solitaire singing on a clear, crisp winter’s day.

3.       A cattail marsh chorus at dusk with Yellow-headed Blackbirds, American
Bitterns, Soras, Virginia Rails, various ducks and Marsh Wrens contributing to
the symphony of sounds.

4.       A pair of duetting Boreal Owls high up Tumalo Mountain.

5.       The haunting calls of an Iiwi coming from a fog-shrouded Hawaiian
kapuka.

Honorable mention goes to any Catharus thrush song.

Tom Crabtree, Bend