[obol] The Fancy Chickens of Timber, Oregon (Washington Co)-Sooty Grouse and Mountain Quails

  • From: Khanh Tran <khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 03:57:20 +0000

Hi Obolers:

We birded a few hours near the Timber area and was able to find some fun birds
between the light rain and low light.  It was more productive than we thought--
especially with the fancy chickens.

Heard at least, five SOOTY GROUSE males and a pair along the road with an
aggressive male pursuing the female.   Another male was seen displaying high in
the conifers, close to the trunk. They can be tough to track down, but fun,
when you see one.

We were lucky to glimpse on two pairs of MOUNTAIN QUAILS along the gravel road
not far from the clear cut areas.  A Ruffed Grouse was also seen in the lower
elevations of Round Top.

HERMIT WARBLERS were seen along with a couple of WILSON'S and MACGILLIVRAY'S
WARBLERS.  These were all year birds for me and it was fun to see an AMERICAN
DIPPER along the creek.

Close to dusk, I spotted a BARRED OWL along Hwy 6, not far from the town of
Timber.

For those who are interested, here are a few updated photos from this past
month of GREAT GRAY OWL, NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL, SPRUCE GROUSE, and other fun
birds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23662496@N02/

Good birding and peace:)

Khanh Tran