[obol] Thanksgiving surprises

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 20:54:26 -0800

While on our way to Salem today to spend Thanksgiving with my sister, we
encountered a flock of about twenty swans in a dry field east of the
intersection of Airlie and Maxfield Creek Roads.  I had seen swans north of
this location a number of times, but never there, and never on dry fields.
The ones which vocalized were all Trumpeters.
    Then about 3:30 while walking along the 1800 block of D Street NE in
Salem, we noted some action overhead in the maple trees.  For five or six
minutes we watched an interesting interaction between a Barred Owl and a
Cooper's Hawk. The owl spent much of the time perched, but on several
occasions took off in the kind of pursuit of the hawk which gave the
impression it was seriously intending to have it for a meal.  Following
each chase sequence the hawk would usually land about twenty feet from the
owl and utter a series of  harsh kek-kek-kek scolding notes  After about
five or six minutes, it finally flew off to a more distant tree, leaving
the owl to ponder its failure.

Darrel & Laura