[obol] Re: Thanks for info on Owls and Snowy Plover

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sandyayer74@xxxxxxxxx, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 18:14:03 -0700

Double my pleasure, as it was a lifer, and a Snowy Plover*. That's what OBOL is here for.

* - I have a 'thing' for Snowy Plovers.   The locals understand.

Cheers
Dave

On 7/31/2014 3:13 PM, Sandy Ayer wrote:
Thanks to the half-dozen or so Oregon coast birders who responded to my RFI on owls and Snowy Plover. I think I'll save the owls for another year.

Thanks especially to Dave Lauten for the very precise directions he gave to the Sitcoos dune site. That I got lost for about 20 minutes along the way was my fault--and it turned out to be providential: I arrived at the north spit a little after 7:30, but visibility was down to about 10 meters in the fog ("Oh. no," I thought, "I'll never see one at this rate!") and scoping into the nesting area drew nothing but shells and driftwood. Then the fog lifted (the providential part) and I happened to look toward the beach. I noticed a juvenile bird that I at first took to be a larger plover, such as a Black-bellied, but then I saw the thin black bill, dark eye-line, and shoulder patch (as well as a green band). Then I looked at the wrack line, as Dave and others had suggested, and all of a sudden Snowies, both adults and juveniles, were scurrying everywhere (boy, can those birds move!) . I must've seen about two dozen, both adults and juveniles.

Thanks again to you all. This was a lifer for me, and a species I'd missed in both Texas and Louisiana.

Sandy

H. D. Sandy Ayer
115 Strandell Cresc. SW
Calgary, AB