[obol] Re: Thanks for T Puffin and Allen's Info

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: johnpam@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 18:57:16 -0700

Over the years many folks have asked the same question John. I did point
counts for 15 years at New River in SW Coos and the Allen's males arrive in
February, are actively displaying in March through about mid-May, then were
hard to find by the end of May. That said we had a male Rufous at our
feeder in Coos Bay about a week ago, the first in a while but I think these
are wandering migrants. It even displayed. However, by early June Allen's
males were pretty much gone at New River. Lotsa females and juvie around,
hard to ID them to species of course.

Bottom line is (and i have told these to 10's of birders over the years),
best time to see the Allen's males is when they are displaying (thus easy
to find) and that is from March through mid-May. After that you are
looking for a needle in a haystack...

Good birding,
Tim R
Coos Bay

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:06 PM, John Thomas <johnpam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks to Harv, Tim, and Dave for responses. Looks like Face Rock is the
active spot for puffin pair this year and we'll be staying right there so
that's good ! Surprised Allen's already on the move as our Rufous males
still hanging very strong in valley -at least last few days. Will probably
try another year when we can see Allen's do their display. Short trip will
probably forego getting any further south than a few hours to Cape Blanco
south of town- we're down for just two nights.

Good Birding & Thanks Again,
John Thomas
Silverton/Mt Angel area