[obol] Sunday's Ankeny NWR Field Trip

  • From: "orazbirder" <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 07:20:24 -0700

This is my first post on OBOL.  I’ve been reading the discussion on the
declining reports via email.  I am one of the birders that use BirdLog and
eBird extensively for reporting the birds I identify.  I wasn’t sure if basic
reports were of any interest to most birders because it seemed most of the
reports were about unusual or rare birds.  Anyway I will make an effort to
email in some reports if they are of value to other birders.

Three of us scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our Salem Audubon birding
field trip on Thursday, July 17th at 7:30 a.m.  The three of us survived a
number of thunderstorms but the last one left us quaking in our boots at
Pintail Marsh.  Just before we were getting ready to leave a huge rumble of
thunder rolled through shaking the ground then there were several lighting
flashes around us.  We headed to the vehicle and called it a day.  But a
successful day it was as we stopped at nine locations around the refuge and
identified 54 species.

Mike Unger
Keizer, OR

Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for July 13, 2014

100 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
2 Cackling/Canada Goose
10 Mallard
1 dabbling duck sp.