[obol] Sturgeon Lake shorebirds today -- full accounting

  • From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 22:25:09 -0700

Hi OBOL & PAB --

Here's a full report from the north end of Sturgeon Lake, Sauvie Island
(Columbia Co.) from this afternoon, between roughly 2 pm and 4:30 pm:

Black-bellied Plover - 104
Semipalmated Plover - 1
Killdeer - 4
Greater Yellowlegs - 21
Lesser Yellowlegs - 5
MARBLED GODWIT - 6
RED KNOT - 3
RUFF - 1
SANDERLING - 3
Dunlin - 1
Least Sandpiper - 8
Pectoral Sandpiper - 17
Western Sandpiper - 40
Peep sp. - 80
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER - 2
Long-billed Dowitcher - 12
Dowitcher sp. - 30

In addition to these 15 shorebird species, there were 2 SABINE'S GULLS (1 imm.
& 1 adult) and 1 imm. FRANKLIN'S GULL.  One RED-SHOULDERED HAWK was heard from
this spot, 2 COMMON TERNS were seen from the boat launch in Multnomah Co., and
hundreds of WHITE-FRONTED GEESE had arrived / were arriving to join the
recently arrived Cackling Geese.

I will get some photos & videos of the Knots and other spp posted tomorrow, and
will get all this entered on eBird shortly.

Reaching this spot requires a 1.9-mile walk (3.8 mi round-trip), and a scope is
required. By waiting 2.5 hours here patiently in one spot half-concealed, I was
able to wait as the birds shifted around, sometimes (but not usually)
approaching to a somewhat close distance. Most often, however, they were on the
far side of the water, quite far away even for scope views. Thus, while this
place was a Shangri-La for me today, don't expect the magic to come easily, and
be prepared to get some mud on your shoes.

To get here, park at the Oak Island trail parking at the end of Oak Island
Road. Follow the trail north, then east to the lake, then north paralleling the
shoreline. Just after the trail bends left 90 degrees, a small spur trail heads
off to the NNE. Follow this trail a short way and then cross over "The
Narrows", the water connecting Sturgeon Lake to your east with the strikingly
birdless water body to your west. Proceed 100 m or so carefully through the
vegetation to get a view of the grassy mudflats without spooking the birds.  In
my previous posting I had called this the northernmost end of Sturgeon Lake,
but it is actually the northernmost end of the middle lobe of the lake. This
should all be clear by looking at a Google Earth satellite image before you go,
which I recommend.

The three Red Knots were in nearly all gray plumage; only one individual
appeared to show the slightest trace of red/brown below. The Sanderlings were
in basic plumage (i.e., white). The Ruff was present only for a short time. The
BB Plovers were moving in & out of the grassy edges, often obscured. Many of
them showed warm brownish tones and all variations of head plumage, so beware
that some BBPLs can look awfully tempting to call Golden Plovers. I nearly got
fooled once or twice; it's a good idea to wait and see the underwings in flight
to confirm.  I am guessing that the single Marbled Godwit previously seen by
others at the south end of the lake may have joined a flock of 5 newcomers,
producing my flock of 6, because 1 of the 6 birds was keeping a slight distance
from the others, and when I checked Coon Point on my way home I could find no
Godwit.

Sturgeon Lake is always great in late September if you give it some patience
and are OK with a terminal case of scope-eye. Access is curtailed on 1 Oct.

Jay Withgott
Portland