[obol] Re: Stewns Mtn 9/11

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 21:17:33 -0700

Dear Demian,

I have seen Black Rosy Finches at the top of the Steens many times previously.
I generally go up to the East Rim overlook and hang out on a rocky promontory
somewhere just below the East Rim overlook.   I like to find a spot that is out
of the wind (if it is windy) and a spot where I can see the scree slopes on
both sides of the promontory.  I then look for any small to intermediate sized
flocks of finches that seem to be leapfrogging over each other on the scree
slopes below me or to the sides of me.  Sometimes they will simply fly by you
very quickly without stopping to feed.  Now is a good time to find them there.
You sometimes need to be patient.  I have found them as quickly as 15 minutes
after arriving up on the East Rim and sometimes I have spent 3 to 6 hours there
without finding them at all.  Persistence is the key to seeing them there.  If
you get bored hanging out on a rocky promontory you can simply start walking
north or south along the East Rim hoping that you will see a flock somewhere
below you.  I have also seen Black Rosy Finches at the Kiger Gorge overlook,
but not as frequently as I have seen them on the East Rim.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen