[obol] So many barred owls!

  • From: Linda Perkins <lindajthurmes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 05:19:10 -0800

I just heard something I have never heard before. I took the dog out a little
before 4:30am and there are so many barred owls out there hooting!  At least
seven.
I have only heard a barred owl at my place twice since 2008, each one alone and
years apart. One was this winter.  And I am out in my yard by 4am 5 days a
week. But tonight I was amazed.  None of these barred owls were in my trees (I
live outside of Astoria and our lot sizes are 2 acres out here), most of them
sounded 2 to 3 houses away. There were at least 3 on one side of the house
because at one point there were 3 owls hooting at the same time, not together,
but their calls piled on top of one another's.  There was another owl farther
off behind them, and three at quite different locations on the other side of
the house. Quite frankly it sounded like there were several more owls at least
because there was never 2 seconds between hooting, but I could pick out these
very distinct 7 individuals for sure.
There was so much hooting that even the little dog down the road who stays out
all night was barking, and he's not a barky dog.  My dog was being a pain so I
took him in after 10-12 minutes.  I accidentally broke a bowl and cleaned it up
and went back outside--nothing.  A couple geese were honking a little and my
vampire killdeer that never sleeps was making noise, but no owls hooting and
nothing in the half hour since. So much noise and then nothing.  Have any of
you heard this before?
Linda Perkins