[obol] Snowy Plovers on the Oregon Coast, 2014

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 13:54:13 -0700

Folks,

It may be of interest to some to know that the 2014 breeding season for Snowy Plovers on the Oregon coast produced a record number of fledglings. We counted a minimum of 271 fledglings, shattering our previous record of 180 fledglings in 2012. Some may have seen a press release pertaining to this that I believe was released this past Wednesday. We are still working on crushing data so we do not at this time have an accurate estimate of adults, but it was 300+ individuals. As some may have noticed, there have been a good number of sitings of plovers on the north coast, including at some places that have not seen plovers in a long time (Nehalem Spit had 5 plovers about 3 weeks ago). USFWS would certainly like to receive any reports of plovers seen in Oregon throughout the winter. The large number of fledglings has also produced bigger flocks of wintering plovers at places like Clam Beach Humboldt Co Cal and in Mendocino Co Cal also.

To help put this in perspective, there were 35-50 plovers left along the coast of Oregon between 1990-1992 when Mark Stern of The Nature Conservancy began to monitor and assist managing the plovers along the coast. Kudos to Mark Stern and all the people and land management and wildlife agencies who have worked and importantly funding the recovery efforts for the past 25 years: USFWS, US Forest Service, US BLM, Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept, Oregon Dept of Fish and Wildlife, Army Corp, The Nature Conservancy, and The Oregon Biodiversity Information Center.

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein