[obol] Smith/Bybee Snowy Egret and shorebirds

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, portland-area-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:55:30 -0700

We birded Smith and Bybee Lakes in N. Portland this morning. Water is
extremely low. Large numbers of migrant ducks have moved in to join the
abundant coots and Pied-billed Grebes. On Smith Lake were 35 Greater and 2
Lesser Yellowlegs, a Pectoral Sandpiper, 120 Western Sandpipers, 100 Least
Sandpipers, Spotted Sandpiper and Killdeer, 5 Long-billed Dowitchers, and
our first, crisp juv. Short-billed Dowitcher of the season. A Caspian Tern,
6 Bonaparte's Gulls, four white pelicans and many gulls and ducks were
spread across the lake.

Large numbers of Great Egrets were on Bybee Lake and the rookery on the far
shore, bringing our day total to 366. An apparent SNOWY EGRET was on the
far side with a couple hundred Great Egrets; it was a bit too distant to
confirm that it wasn't something rarer. The past two years, a single Snowy
Egret showed up here a bit later in the fall.

Happy fall,

Adrian and Christopher Hinkle