[obol] Re: Slightly out of state RBA: ROYAL TERN in Humboldt Co. CA

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: llsdirons@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 23:39:24 -0700

Dave and all

My recollection is that Royal Terns once were regular to northern California
before the crash of the anchovy population due to over-harvesting.  In "The
Distribution of the Birds of California" (1944)  Grinnel and Miller wrote that
the northern limit of the species was about San Francisco Bay, with the
northern most record being Tomales Bay.

I have always looked through Caspian Tern flocks (as well as Elegant Tern
flocks) for a Royal Tern on the Oregon coast  - but perhaps now there is
greater hope for one.

Jeff Gilligan