[obol] Siuslaw Jetty Tattler

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:18:26 -0700

I birded the Siuslaw Jetty this evening (mostly the Dog Pond, as high tide
limited much of the shoreline).

Almost immediately upon arriving at the Dog Pond, I spotted a tattler that
I automatically marked down as a Wandering.  However, some of its field
marks seem "off" to me.  The very white belly and white scapulars, as well
as the lack of gray on the flanks, don't seem consistent with a juvenile or
adult basic Wandering.  It looks a little less gray than I'd expect, and my
photos seem to show wing tips that don't protrude much past the tail.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2883/9613561856_5f72a8c820_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3731/9613561770_9950c61c4c_o.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/9613561654_9eb5820e98_o.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3799/9613648504_4c5005217e_o.jpg

Some of the above suggests Gray-tailed Tattler to me, though the white
eyebrows do not meet on the forehead.

I'm at a loss here, so any ideas would be helpful.

Brandon
Eugene