[obol] Short-eared Owls mid-day show - Milne Road, Washington Co.

  • From: Steve Nord <stevernord@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 17:14:16 -0800

OBOL;

Birded along the length of Milne Road this morning between 11:00-11:45.
The YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER was still present in her usual spot.  Fewer
raptors compared to past weeks, but still found 2 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS,
hunting at opposite ends of same field.

The biggest surprise was seeing a SHORT-EARED OWL flying high overhead.
Soon 1 owl became 2, and then more.  A total of 6 owls were present along
with 18 COMMON RAVENS who were harassing the owls.  Probably the reason all
these owls were so active mid-day.  As I watched the larger Ravens give
chase to the owls, I was amazed to see the owls turn the tables and give
some of their own harassment right back at the Ravens.

A few low quality photos (difficult to digiscope flying birds) can be seen
in my eBIrd report:

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton, OR