[obol] Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk?

  • From: Jamie Boulton <bluespark59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 08:20:23 -0800

This morning I glanced out my window and saw a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK sitting
on the fence. Or was it a small Cooper's Hawk? Its tail was on the other
side of the fence, so I could not see it. But the bird was fluffed up in
the chilly air and its breast looked more uniform in color (peachy) than
streaked. The cap was not clearly defined and the head sat so low that no
neck was visible. Legs and feet were hidden in feathers. My overall
impression was of a small hawk, about the same size as a dove. Sparse bird
traffic at the feeders since then.

In North Albany
Jamie Boulton