[obol] Seeing What You Want to See

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 10:09:21 -0700

If you know anyone more guilty of regularly trying to turn an ordinary bird
into something fantastic please introduce us.

I have received an opinion from someone that I consider a good authority
that the bird I identified as a juvenile Northern Goshawk in my last post
is actually a juvenile Sharp Shinned Hawk.

Jill and I birded upstream from Camp Sherman yesterday and found a nice
assortment of birds.  One American Dipper put on a show for us, calling
constantly for about 20 minutes. They have a very beautiful voice. We
waited and waited but its call was never returned. While standing on the
second bridge upstream watching the dipper, we had a small flock of swift
fly over.  The coloration of one caught our attention - I tried of course
to turn it into a White-throated Swift. But its stubby body and thick,
non-angular, wings are telling me that it's an oddly colored Vaux's Swift.

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2014/9/seeing-what-you-want-to-see

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon