[obol] Seawatches: Clatsop Co 10/20/2014

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:04:06 -0700

I spent an hour at the South Jetty of the Columbia River watching
a very rough and hazy ocean this morning from 8:25 to 9:25.  There
was almost nothing on the near ocean because of the rough seas, but
out beyond the end of the jetty I could see lots of smallish gulls
that were most probably BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES.  Ten kittiwakes
came in close enough to ID.  I also saw a single unidentified jaeger.

I the went to Hammond Boat Basin and did a 1 hour station count from
the parking area on the river.  That's where the real action was.

Highlight include:
  250 Elegant Terns
  3 Parasitic Jaegers
  1 Pomarine Jaeger
  1 Long-tailed Jaeger
  95 Brown Pelicans

and easily 1000 gulls of all sorts of shapes and sizes.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR