[obol] Re: Science & Fog

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 07:20:04 -0700

Hi Clay & all(*),

(*) - That is, anyone who hasn't already clicked on the "delete" key, as
soon as you saw my name on the incoming posting.

Thanks for clarifying that this was a seasonal thing for the
Yellowthroats. Setting the filter for April 1st does seem like it could
be overly tight. The *average* first arrival date in the mid-Willamette
Valley is April 4th (based on 35 years of data from Corvallis Audubon
field notes as compiled by Alan McGie) but there is considerable spread
around that average date. The first one that I saw this year was right
on April 1st, but I wouldn't doubt that it showed up a few days sooner.

One wonders how many valid sightings might get discarded, in similar
cases. It seems conceivable that "censorship by drudgery" could lead to
ossification of estimated arrival dates, if a significant number of
eBird users end up just not wanting to to deal with the hassle of
filling in details for such cases.

It certainly is funny how birds can molt their "rarity" status
overnight, or just by flying over a county line. Some years back when we
lived in a house just 50 yards north of the Benton/Polk County line, I
watched two Sandhill Cranes come flying south. As they headed into
Benton County air space I could not see any physical change in the birds
-- they were still beautiful birds giving the most amazing wild calls as
they flew ahead of a storm front. But somehow they went from being
"rare" birds to "just sort of unusual" birds as they passed through that
imaginary plane.

Cool to hear about those Piñon Jays hanging around Sisters, and thanks for
passing on that tip on where to see/hear them! That could be useful for a lot
of Willamette Valley birders who decide to head over the mountains this
time of year.

Happy birding,
Joel

Joel, Thank you for providing some perspective. Next time I'm in Gaston,
Washington County, OR, I'll be sure and tell all the unCOMMON Yellowthroats
just exactly how 'rare' they are. . .unless it's after April 1st when they
get kicked off the 'rare' list.

Not on the rare list but definitely a rare pleasure is observing the large
flock of Pinon Jays that wanders around Sisters OR. Listen for them arround
sun up near the Thriftway.
--

*Happy birdingClay*

--