[obol] Schedule update for statewide Migration Count on May 10-11th

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 10:04:41 -0700

Hi all,

The schedule for Oregon's version of the North American Migration Count
(NAMC) this May 10-11 is gradually coming together. For 20 years now
since Pat French launched Oregon's participation in 1994, this count has
provided inspiration for Oregon birders to spread out and cover various
corners of our 36 counties that might not get covered for the rest of
the year.

Just for fun, we're adding a "NAMC Count Week" this year, similar to CBC
count week. This will run from Wednesday through Tuesday (May 7-13). So
the next time that someone finds a Terek Sandpiper at Fopiano Reservoir
one day after NAMC weekend, we'll keep track of that as a "count week"
species for Wheeler Co.

Here are the counties for which I've heard back from county coordinators
who are planning to go ahead with counts. I'll be sending updates of
this schedule to OBA and ECAS along with coordinators' contact
information, for posting on their websites:

Baker           Joanne Britton  (TBA)
Benton          (me as interim) (TBA)
Crook           Chuck Gates     10 May
Curry           Diane Cavaness  (TBA)
Douglas         Ron Maertz      10 May
Hood River      Stuart Johnston 11 May
Jefferson       Gates/Smith     11 May
Josephine       Dennis Vroman   10 May
Lane            Barbara Combs   10 May
Lincoln         Dawn Villa      10 May
Linn            Jeff Fleischer  10 May
Malheur         Denise Hughes   10 May
Marion          Tim Johnson     10 May
Polk            Joel Geier      10 May
Tillamook       Dawn Villa      11 May
Wallowa                         10 May?

Also Stuart Johnston informed me of this count which will be happening
just across the state line in Washington:

Klickitat                       10 May

For Benton County (Oregon), Marcia F. Cutler is stepping down so I'll
act as interim coordinator. The date will be whichever day works better
for more birders who want to participate.

For Yamhill County, Carol Karlen is also stepping down so we'll be
looking for volunteers. Linda Fink is trying to poll for a date, round
up volunteers, and badger possible coordinators. Hopefully someone is
willing to step up but if not, I'll compile the data.

Deschutes Co. is still up in the air following a bit of confusion as to
the future of the NAMC in Oregon. I've heard a rumor that some Bend
birders are trying to get this reorganized as an event, with some fun
ideas to boost participation.

In Coos Co., Russ Namitz has moved away and Barbara Taylor isn't able to
take this on, at least for the present.

I still haven't heard back from coordinators in the following counties,
though I expect that some of them are going ahead with their usual
plans: Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Klamath, Lake, Multnomah, Union,
Wasco, and Washington.

Then there are the chronically understaffed counties: Gilliam, Grant,
Harney, Jackson, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla, and Wheeler.

I'm not going to try to replicate the heroic effort that Chuck Gates
made to find coverage for some of these counties in years past. However,
if you happen to be birding in one of these counties on May 10 or 11,
please send in your lists.  Ebird lists are fine -- preferably the full
lists rather than just a series of links, which can be time-consuming to
work through.

If you're interested in volunteering as a coordinator for one of the
counties that doesn't have one, please let me know. You don't need to be
a super-elite birder. It helps to have a general grasp of which birds
are expected in your county, but by far the most important skill is an
ability to inspire other birders to get out into the field.

This is still Oregon's easiest statewide bird count in terms of
record-keeping: Just go out and count birds, keep track of miles and
hours, and let your county coordinator know where you went.

Happy migration,
Joel

--
Joel Geier