[obol] Sauvie October

  • From: George Neavoll <gneavoll@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:12:27 -0700

Crane music greeted Sabin Belknap and me when we arrived at Coon Point on
Sauvie Island early this p.m. (10/4/13). The SANDHILL CRANES - at least 45 -
were on the s. shore of Sturgeon Lake and, later, more elsewhere.

The big attraction, though, was the hundreds and hundreds of BARN SWALLOWS
flying low over the corn field on the far side of the marsh at the Reeder Road
Observation Platform. Hundreds more were in the air at the end of Rentenaar
Road.

A huge flock of AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES was working the sunflower heads on the
near side of the Reeder Road marsh.

The yelping of CACKLING GEESE came from skeins of the new arrivals - and what
would be October on Sauvie without cranes and cacklers in it?

George Neavoll
S.W. Portland