[obol] Salem Loon, 10/31E

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:50:21 -0700

This morning I saw a COMMON LOON at the far end of Kelly's Pond (SE Salem)
where I thought I saw one yesterday.  I did not see the RED-THROATED LOON of a
couple days ago, which I saw yesterday and 2 days ago.  Both loons are usually
- most of the time, not all the time - underwater and they move fast, so it is
hard to get a fix on them.  You can miss them.  Tim Johnson saw 1 or 2 Common
Loons at the same spot 2 days ago.
A few miles east a BONAPARTE'S GULL landed on the water at the Aumsville sewage
ponds then left, but otherwise there were a lot of SHOVELERS, RUDDIES, COOTS,
12 DUNLIN, KILLDEER, 10 RING-NECKED DUCKS, 2 LESSER SCAUP, 10 WOOD DUCKS.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR
All graceful instruments are known