[obol] Salem Common Loon, S. Salem Lewis' 11/27

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 13:46:56 -0800

On the way to Ankeny NWR along Liberty Rd. I saw a LEWIS' WOODPECKER 1.8 miles
before the end of Liberty at Ankeny Hill Road.  There are scattered gnarly oaks
there, near the top of the hill going toward Salem from Ankeny.  Right after
that I stopped at the usual LEWO spot at the end of Libery and saw 2 there.

Ankeny was fogged in, couldn't see anything so I didn't stay, but I checked a
couple of deepwater gravel pits in SE Salem and saw a COMMON LOON on the large
pond behind Home Depot and Kelly's along the east side of I-5.   Lowe's Pond
had a lot of gulls, but I didn't want to tax myself too much in favor of Turkey
Day tomorrow (conserving my energy) so I only made a cursory look at them.  I
think the HORNED GREBE I saw a couple days ago at Spinnaker Lake or whatever we
call it now (off McGilchrist) is still there, but too far away to be sure, and
again, I'm saving myself...

Roy Gerig, Salem OR