[obol] Salem Common Loon, Ankeny Black-necked Stilt

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 12:20:30 -0700

At Salem Riverfront Park this AM was a good looking breeding plumage COMMON
LOON, about halfway between the Riverboat Queen and the Acid Ball, in the
slough.  I do not recall ever seeing a COLO on the Willamette River in the
Salem area, or of ever seeing one this well, this pretty.At Ankeny NWR there
was a BLACK-NECKED STILT across the RR tracks from the old pullout along Buena
Vista Road in that 2-3 year old wetland project.  This was my target species
for the day.  In recent years, according to my memory and disorganized and
incomplete record keeping (I don't believe my sightings are sacred and so don't
necessarily try to keep them for posterity, I am not a sourpuss about it,
probably just lazy...) all my local BNST sightings have fallen in or close to
the 2nd 10 days in April.Several NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS were near the
Pintail Marsh overlook resting on a dead shrub.Roy Gerig, Salem OR