[obol] Salem Audubon Scouting Trip Summary

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:58:32 -0700

*SAS Ankeny Scouting Trip Report*

Hello all -

Barbara, Fred, Kay and I scouted Ankeny NWR in preparation for our Salem
Audubon birding field trip on *Saturday, September 20th at 7:30 a.m.*  The
four of us covered five locations around the refuge including a 2.5 mile
trek around Pintail Marsh.  Eagle Marsh is still empty and dry but there
was quite a bit of activity around the brushy areas and road.  Smoke from
the Estacada fire was visible during our entire trip but at the end the
smoke really started to settle into the area.  As usual it was a successful
day but what day birding is not a good day.  During the scouting trip we
identified 53 species.

Most notable identifications:

·  One *Red-shouldered Hawk* that we heard;

·  One *Chipping Sparrow* was seen at Eagle Marsh;

·  Three *Green Herons *at Pintail Marsh;

·  Seventeen (17) *Wilson’s Snipe* that we saw on the west side of Pintail
Marsh;

·  One *Sharp-shinned Hawk* being chased by a single *Barn Swallow*;

·  The only warbler we saw and heard were 17 *Common Yellowthroats*;

·  A total of 137 *American Goldfinches* which may be a low count.  The
goldfinches were all over the place throughout our adventure;

·  Six *American Bitterns *with one seen flying at Eagle Marsh and five at
Pintail Marsh; and

·  Twelve* Marsh Wrens *of which many were very vocal.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS field trip will be
at Ankeny NWR on *Saturday, September 20th at 7:30 a.m.*  Meet at the
Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road.  Join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for September 15, 2014*

Number of Checklists: 5
Number of Species: 53

*Checklists included in this summary:*
(1): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh Overlook @ 7:33 a.m.
(2): Intersection of Ankeny Hill Rd & Buena Vista Rd @ 8:01 a.m.
(3): Pullout on north side of Buena Vista RD, just before Eagle Marsh @
9:00 a.m.
(4): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 9:17 a.m.
(5): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 10:14 a.m.

1 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima) -- (5)
6 Wood Duck -- (5)
26 Mallard -- (5)
6 Northern Pintail -- (5)
16 Green-winged Teal -- (5)
2 Ring-necked Duck -- (5)
9 Pied-billed Grebe -- (5)
6 American Bittern -- (4),(5)
2 Great Blue Heron -- (5)
3 Great Egret -- (5)
3 Green Heron -- (5)
2 Turkey Vulture -- (5)
3 Northern Harrier -- (2),(5)
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk -- (5)
1 Red-shouldered Hawk -- (5)
2 Red-tailed Hawk -- (1)
1 Virginia Rail -- (5)
20 American Coot -- (5)
7 Killdeer -- (2),(5)
4 Greater Yellowlegs -- (5)
3 Least Sandpiper -- (5)
30 Long-billed Dowitcher -- (5)
17 Wilson's Snipe -- (5)
1 Eurasian Collared-Dove -- (2)
7 Acorn Woodpecker -- (2)
1 Downy Woodpecker -- (5)
3 Northern Flicker -- (1),(2)
2 American Kestrel -- (1),(5)
2 Western Wood-Pewee -- (5)
4 Steller's Jay -- (2),(4),(5)
13 Western Scrub-Jay -- (1),(2)
2 Western Scrub-Jay (Coastal) -- (5)
2 American Crow -- (5)
1 Violet-green Swallow -- (5)
91 Barn Swallow -- (2),(3),(5)
1 Cliff Swallow -- (2)
7 Black-capped Chickadee -- (2),(3)
1 Red-breasted Nuthatch -- (2)
2 White-breasted Nuthatch -- (2)
12 Marsh Wren -- (5)
1 Bewick's Wren -- (4)
21 European Starling -- (2),(5)
27 Cedar Waxwing -- (2),(3)
21 Common Yellowthroat -- (3),(4),(5)
5 Spotted Towhee -- (3),(4)
1 Chipping Sparrow -- (4)
11 Savannah Sparrow -- (5)
22 Song Sparrow -- (2),(3),(4),(5)
4 White-crowned Sparrow -- (2)
1 Golden-crowned Sparrow -- (3)
43 Red-winged Blackbird -- (2),(4),(5)
10 Brewer's Blackbird -- (2),(3),(5)
4 House Finch -- (1),(3)
137 American Goldfinch -- (2),(3),(4),(5)