[obol] Safety warning - Siltcoos River

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:28:10 -0700

Anyone birding the Siltcoos River mouth for Snowy plover or other delights (it
has had other delights, e.g. Smith's Longspur, Curlew Sandpiper, Blackpoll
etc.) should note the following about local conditions.

I strongly advise not taking the Waxmyrtle Trail along the south bank of the
Siltcoos to the beach.  There is a stretch of maybe 30 yards, 3/4 of the way
out, that is now too close to the river's edge and has a few soft spots.  It
needs to be closed until it can be rebuilt because there is no way to work
around that section through the brush - it is too heavy.  Stephan and I got
through it, but it was not fun. I'd be astonished if that stretch survives the
winter.

The workaround is to take the perfectly safe wide trail out from the
campground, which is longer but in good shape.  You can then cross back over to
the ponds across the dune.

The recent storm has also jammed a lot of debris into the "north slough" access
point on the north side of the river.  This, however, has only occluded the
short access trail in one spot and is passable with care.  If we get some high
tides under calm conditions I suspect some of that wood and garboleum will
drift out.
.
.
Alan Contreras