[obol] [SHOREBIRDS] The 1st World Shorebirds Day is at the corner

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 21:41:38 -0700

Pretty late to forward this message... I was bumped off OBOL for quite a while before I realized it. So I thought I had sent this 2 or more weeks ago. See below. Oregon isn't represented much yet.................Shorebird festival helps. Jump on the birding wagon! Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message----- From: Gyorgy Szimuly
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 2:51 PM
To: SHOREBIRDS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [SHOREBIRDS] The 1st World Shorebirds Day is at the corner

Dear All,

My last update about the very first World Shorebirds Day was posted months ago. Let me share a few details with you. I’d like to encourage you to support this initiative by taking a part of it.

The 6th of September is selected for celebrating shorebirds and raising public awareness for the need of conservation, research and fundraising.

Birdwatchers and researchers have joined the Global Shorebird Counting Program, and nearly 300 sites have already been registered covering many of the shorebird sites of international importance. Please find the map of the registered sites: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=z3yRwAVo2mAw.k42bDqIRe7a4

If you have not joined yet, please think about it and register your site where you go counting shorebirds on 6-7 September. (http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/global-shorebird-counting/)

Last but not least, the shorebird community voted for the ’Shorebirds of the Year’ for this year. The enigmatic Spoon-billed Sandpiper was selected and will hold this title until 15/08/2015. All of our fundraising activity will focus this species. However, I have already opened the new poll to decide which shorebird will be chosen for the 2015/2016 shorebird year. http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/shorebirds-of-the-year-2015-poll-opens/

Please join us and celebrate shorebirds on 6th of September.

Best regards, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Coordinator of the Global Events of the World Shorebirds Day
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com=