[obol] SAS Willow Lake and Spong's Landing Field Trip Report

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:21:26 -0700

*                SAS WILLOW LAKE & SPONG’S LANDING FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

*October 15, 2014*

Hello Birders:

We had eight birders participate in today's Salem Audubon field trip to
Spong’s Landing County Park.  As we waited to start the field trip it was a
little windy but not raining.  We were disappointed when we arrived at the
Willow Lake WTP because the gate was closed.  The sign said the area was
closed due to inclement weather.  We went to Spong’s Landing and just as we
arrived it started raining and the wind picked up.  We walked down to the
river then walked around a field before taking a hike down the meandering
trail through the south side of the park.  The birds were pretty quiet as
they were hunkered down due to the weather conditions.  We walked a little
over a mile and despite the conditions we still identified (saw or heard)
23 species  of birds.

Most notable sightings:

·  One *Golden-crowned Sparrow *was heard at Spong’s Landing in the field
on the north side of the parking lot;

·  One *Ruby-crowned Kinglet* was heard at Spong’s Landing near the end of
our hike;

·  Numerous *Cackling Geese* flew over us at Keizer Rapids Park and Spong’s
Landing.  In one of the groups of geese at Spong’s Landing there were three
Western *Canada Geese* (moffitti);

·  Heard one *Brown Creeper* and one *White-breasted Nuthatch;*

·  Conspicous by their absence were the sparrows.  We really expected to
see more sparrows in this type of habitat.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  *Our next SAS field trip will be
at Ankeny NWR on Saturday, October 25th at 7:30 a.m.  *Meet at the Overlook
off of Ankeny Hill Road   Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for October 15, 2014 *
Number of Checklists: 2
Number of Species: 23

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Keizer Rapids Park @ 7:29 AM