[obol] Royal Tern with funky bill (not Oregon) and some SE OR sightings

  • From: Mark Nikas <elepaio@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 23:34:43 -0700

The link below is to a photo I took of a Royal Tern in Florida this past
April. It has a normal bill with a long secondary piece growing from its
base. I've seem some odd deformed and broken bills over the years but this
one is in a class by itself. Does anyone have any insight into what caused
this?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77323634@N00/17824343453/in/dateposted-public/

Back in Oregon a SNOWY EGRET in Deep Creek in the town of Adel on 5/31 was
not where I'd expect to find one. JUNIPER TITMOUSE was seen at the oft
mentioned dirt track 3.5 miles west of Adel. This was my 4th visit there
in 10+ years and the first time I actually saw one.

YELLOW RAILS were ticking away in Klamath Marsh off Silver Lake Hwy east of
Hwy 97. Most activity was between miles 5.6 and 8.0. Another species that
has eluded me there for some time. Even without the rails this site is a
wondrous place to sit and listen after dark. Dozens of Soras were making
their crazy calls from all directions. Honking Virginia Rails were common
as well. Sandhill Cranes, Red-winged and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, American
Bitterns, Sandhill Cranes, Marsh Wrens, chorus frogs and a few other
mystery sounds all combined for quite a concert making it difficult to pick
out the more sedate sounds of the Yellow Rails. Barn Owl and Common
Nighthawks added their voices from above while lightening over the Cascades
lit up the sky and added its own rumble to the voices of the marsh. It was
a memorable evening.

Mark Nikas