[obol] Rough-legged Hawk

  • From: Lillian <lillian.e@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 01:45:12 -0800

Hello Birders,

Today we spotted what we believe to be a Rough-legged Hawk at Finley NWR. I
have 4 distant, out-of-focus photos to share... (If this is not a Rough-legged
Hawk, please let me know.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/16294742989/in/set-72157648810779146/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/16479259681/in/set-72157648810779146/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/16481005795/in/set-72157648810779146/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11594253@N02/16295100357/in/set-72157648810779146/

Near where this hawk was sighted there were 2 male Northern Harriers, and 2 or
more female Northern Harriers... One of the females was very light in color, I
don't remember seeing one like that before. Harriers seem to be very brave (or
very reckless), on more than one occasion we have seen them chasing off Bald
Eagles! Today we witnessed a young (still mostly dark) Bald Eagles being chased
by a female Northern Harrier over near the Tangent Eagle Roost.

A couple days ago my husband and I went to Finley NWR (I was really hoping to
see the pale Red-winged Blackbird that had been sighted there a couple weeks
ago)... We had a wonderful time and we did see the bird, but it was too late to
get any photos. So we got an earlier start today and made a grand tour through
Finley, down 99W and up 99E... We didn't see the pale Red-winged Blackbird
again, but we made up for it with this Rough-legged Hawk, hundreds of swans, a
group of Bald Eagles and Ravens sharing a carcass, a bird that was either a
Yellow-breasted Chat or a female Common Yellow Throat,  and a long list of "the
usual suspects"... (More out-of-focus photos to come!)

By the way... has anybody else noticed this seems to be a boom year for Hooded
Mergansers? We have seen more Hooded Mergansers this year than any other year I
can remember... Any comments?

Good Birding!
Lillian