[obol] RUSTY BLACKBIRD, Hillsboro Public Library, 11/9/13

  • From: "Craig Tumer" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 22:22:37 -0700

I tried for a second time for the RUSTY BLACKBIRD that everyone other
than me has seen recently at the Hillsoboro Library in Dawson Creek
Corporate Park, and I was able to locate it within minutes of arriving
at the library.  When I first arrived, just before 8:00 AM, the RUBL was
feeding in the landscaped areas at the edges of the parking lot with a
large group of Red-winged Blackbirds, Brewer's Blackbirds, and European
Starlings.  The birds were very active, and I lost the RUBL when all of
the birds flew into the oaks in front of the library.

If there is anyone who still has not seen this bird, the best bet at
getting a good, close view may be to take food for the ducks that
frequent the pond behind the library.  After I lost sight of the RUBL, I
went to the pond to look for the female EURASIAN WIGEON reported by Paul
Sullivan recently.  Soon thereafter, a young man arrived and began
throwing out bread crumbs for the ducks.  Within minutes, he was
surrounded by blackbirds, including the RUBL.  I took advantage of the
situation and was able to get a few decent photos of the RUBL.

I could not relocate the EUWI.

Good birding,
Craig Tumer
Portland