[obol] Re: RFI OR South Coast Tufted Puffins, Allen's Hummingbirds, etc?

  • From: HARVEY W SCHUBOTHE <ninerharv2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 14:55:40 -0700

Hi all...

I did share a general response directly with John but will repeat a bit here.

With regard to the Tufted Puffins, Face Rock is our primary location here this
year. Our Elephant Rock nest did not return this year which sadly was our most
visible. But Face Rock is very good this year and chances are you will get good
looks there throughout the day. Dave's advice is good.

On Allen's, I would second New River or further south. In Bandon, we get a lot
of Hybrid's with Rufous and sometimes it is very, very hard to tell whether you
have a true Allen's or not. That is why you see Rufous/Allen's a lot on ebird
here. The further south you go from here, the better you improve your odds.

Harv Schubothe
Bandon