[obol] Re: RFI: Lewis' Woodpeckers at feeders?

  • From: Barbara Dolan <barbara.dolanbird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "paul.bannick@xxxxxxxxx" <paul.bannick@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 14:48:20 -0800 (PST)

Paul, I enjoyed hearing your persentation at Salem Audubon. We all benefit
greatly from your work.We are always looking and I understand a fellow birder
Mike Unger sent you description where to find a Lewis's at the Ankeny corner of
Liberty and Buena Vista. You have to walk up the hill and be careful of traffic
on the Northeast side of the corner after parking your car at the gravel
intersection of all three roads; as you walk and look up you will see almost
driftwood like old wood shapes and these are somehow an attractant-must be
grubs or some food source. We know this migrating woodpecker (of  only one last
year in winter) was at this sight and just seen again not only 10/13, but since
that time in recent couple of weeks. Someone  wrote "maybe two". Let us know if
you have success. SAS has a field trip at Ankeny again 11/21 and we will try
again. Thanks alot for what you do and write.Currently I am reading the
Imperial Woodpecker-such an interesting
 family of birds.  Barbara

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 9:09 AM, Paul Bannick <paul.bannick@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I am curious if any of you have or have had Lewis Woodpeckers or Acorn
Woodpeckers for that matter, visit your feeders at any time of the year.  Feel
free to email me directly at paul.bannick@xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for any info.

Paul

Paul L. Bannick