[obol] RETRACTION - that Wheeler county RED-THROATED LOON

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 11:52:23 -0800

OOPS!

After getting photos and showing them to Chuck Gates, Peter Low and Tom Crabtree, everyone agrees that the injured bird was a PACIFIC LOON. Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message----- From: judy
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2013 9:33 PM
To: 'COBOL'
Subject: Wheeler county RED-THROATED LOON - in rehab

Bummer, we didn't see this when Wednesday Birders converged on the county
last week. Today Elise Wolf, of Grebe Acres, a local (Sisters, Oregon) bird
rehab facility which Elise operates with help from her husband Whitney, got
a call for help and went to the high school in Mitchell where she picked up
a loon that had been found on the grounds of the school. It was thin but
apparently not injured.

A struggling loon in a blanket is not as easy to identify as a loon swimming
on water or flying, but I thought it was a RED-THROATED LOON. It had gray
nape, rounded gray head, light area below the eye, a very pointed bill, size
of the bill was right, size of the bird OK, smudges on the throat, etc.
Apparently Elise has photos but I have not seen them although I saw the bird
being fed little fish by Elise.

Judy, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx