[obol] RBA LITTLE BUNTING in Joseph

  • From: Adrian Hinkle <adrian.hinkle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 20:58:56 -0700

We re-found the LITTLE BUNTING in Joseph, Wallowa County today. To my
knowledge, it has not seen seen since January 31st. The bird was in a very
birdy yard just N. of E. Williams St., in an alley between Lake and College
St. The yard has several feeders, stuffed with House Sparrows, juncos,
siskins and finches. The bird stayed in almost the same place between 5:00,
when we found it, and 5:20. We took photos (will post later - having
difficulties with uploading right now). The bird never went to a feeder,
and we eventually lost it when we tried to get a new angle. Here is what we
observed: very small bunting-like bird; stubby dark bill; white below with
finely streaked (short discontinuous streaks) breast with dark spot in the
center; chestnut face/auricular bordered by black ; paler, buffy median
crown stripe, malar, and throat; medium-length tail with white 'panels'
below.

We drove all the way from Portland today, stopping a few times along the
way, but we only had about an hour of birding in Joseph. We will be around
the area for a few days. From the Safeway in Enterprise we saw 3 COMMON
REDPOLLS. In Lostine were 130 BOHEMIAN and 2 CEDAR WAXWINGS. Earlier in the
day we saw a flock of 65 LONG-BILLED CURLEWS from I-84 at mile 181. Not
sure if it's unusual, but we found a THAYER'S GULL in Arlington.

We will have a LITTLE BUNTING update tomorrow morning.

Adrian Hinkle, Christopher Hinkle, Em Scattaregia