[obol] Probable LITTLE GULL, Tierra del Mar

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 10:19:56 -0700

Sea lions kicked up a close to shore feeding frenzy of gulls.  Among them was a
very small gull with an "M" on the wings, but not as neat and clean as on a
kittiwake.  There was not a white wedge as on a Bonie's.  Black tip to the
tail.  Pale wing linings, which threw me off because I forgot that 1st winter
LITTLE GULL doesn't have the dark linings--I kept thinking it was a  disheveled
kittiwake.  "But it's so small!"

Superb viewing this morning, even though or because the wind was out of the SE.
 That would also explain the complete lack of tubenoses.

Wink Gross
Tierra del Mar

Sent from my iPhone