[obol] Possible seabird at mouth of Deschutes River

  • From: Shawneen <shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:27:35 -0700

For anyone birding near the Deschutes River.  I received several text messages
from Suzy Murphy about a bird seen while driving 65 MPH.

" Just saw at mouth of Deschutes river fly over to the columbia at 65 miles per
hour. What looked like a sea bird. Long thin wings black and white pattern
light underbelly, with longish white streamiing tail feathers. Can't stop
hauling a camper. If someone close maybe they can check it out.
Thanks,Suzy Murphy"

"It's was the tail feathers. I'm no seabird expert, but those were the longest
streamers I have seen , like LT Jaeger. Got a 2 second look. My impression was
the wings had sharp contrast b/w, much more black, like whole trailing edge."

She has been driving a long time and NOW, I have been driving for 8 days and no
references to check at present.

lt was flying north across the Columbia River towards Washington.

Shawneen Finnegan

Sent from my iPhone