[obol] Re: Possible Rusty Blackbird (heard only), E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 17:04:08 -0700

Just some interesting follow-up info on Rusty Blackbird songs:

This link for Nathan Pieplow's "Ear Birding" site contains a recording
of what he calls the "gurgle-creak sound":

http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/4193

Of interest is the comment that the "gurgle-creak" songs are "practiced
throughout the winter."

I assume that these recordings were made with top-end equipment at
fairly close range, so would capture more complexity than what I could
hear at a distance of 30 to 80 yards.

But it basically sounds like what I heard. My mnemonic to try to
remember this song in the field was "eat yo' wheeeet (chex)," with
"chex" representing the subdued dropped note that I thought I heard
sometimes at the end (not heard on these recordings).

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis