[obol] Possible Pink-sided Junco, Cold Springs CG

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 08:46:24 -0700

While birding the Sisters area yesterday, I came across a junco at Cold
Springs Campground whose dark lores and relatively light coloring
immediately caught my attention. Unfortunately, I only saw it for a couple
of seconds and was not able to relocate it. Whatever its racial makeup, it
appeared to have parentage from a Rockies population. It was in the area
along HWY 242, just north of the spring.

Cold Springs had many YELLOW RUMPS and VARIED THRUSHES, in addition to what
would be expected at this time of the year (WH WOODPECKER, FOX SPARROW,
PACIFIC WREN, etc.).

Whiskey Springs (northeast of Black Butte) was active but, not
surprisingly, devoid of neotropicals and not very diverse. Lots of RC and
GC KINGLETS, though.

Both Whiskey Springs and Cold Springs had more SOLITAIRES and RB NUTHATCHES
than I typically see in the area. Oddly, I did not see a single Pygmy
Nuthatch yesterday. That was a first.

Mid-October is generally not the best time for passerines in central
Oregon, but the foliage show along HWYs 126 and 242 makes the trip
worthwhile.

Brandon
Eugene