[obol] Re: Possible Bronzed Cowbird ?

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 15:33:12 -0700

Looking at the images on Yahoo.com there is an immature male Screaming Cowbird
in a transitional molt to black.  It appears that the not-black part of the
plumage is paler gray than the bird you photographed, which is rather dark
brown..  In molt sequence it might have made more sense for it to have been
from the southern hemisphere.  It is not like I know anything about Screaming
Cowbirds (though I have seen them).  If I had to bet I would  go with some
strange Red-winged Blackbird, but I am by no means stuck to that as a
conclusion.    Jeff  Gilligan