[obol] Re: Possible Arctic Loon, Yaquina Jetty

  • From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mapsout@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:30:39 -0800

Bev:

Your loons are all Common Loons that are in transition, molting from basic
(winter) to alternate (breeding plumage).

Before you start heading down the Arctic path first thing is to make sure the
loon you are looking at is Pacific vs. Arctic. All the loons can show pale
flanks especially if they are turning on their sides a bit.

While the Siberian subspecies of Arctic Loon (Gavia arctic viridigularis) has a
flatter head shape and larger bill than Pacific Loon, it is still very similar
to Pacific vs. Common in size and shape.

Your photos show Common Loons that are larger and bulkier.  Pacifics are more
delicate with a rounder, even puffy head shape, particularly in the breeding
season. The indention on the neck is an easy plumage feature to note on
Commons. Both Pacific and Arctic loons have a fairly straight vertical divide
between the dark back of the neck and white front of the bird that lacks that
notch.

Shawneen Finnegan
Portland, OR