[obol] Re: Photos: Western Kingbird at Baskett Slough NWR

  • From: Priscilla Nam Hari Kaur <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: James Leonard <photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 08:17:54 -0700

Jim and OBOL birders;

Jim, thanks for sharing your Western Kingbird photos.  Those are very nice
and show the soft yellow color really well.

I really like the Western Kingbird too. I got a few blurry photos of a pair
or them a year ago through my car windshield, and this Spring have
endeavored to get a decent picture of one. They have been reported on eBird
about a dozen times or more since May in the Eugene area (mostly West
Eugene), and I've gone to many of these sites a total of about seven times
specifically to find one, with no success. Some of these have only been
"drive-by" excursions, patrolling at 10mph for a few miles, but some trips
have involved 30 or more minutes hiking around. I've made a few other
general birding trips to some of these locations as well these past months.
The Western Kingbird has simply eluded me until last week.

I took another such hike in West Eugene last week in the wetland area west
of Danebo, and I thought I might have seen a pair of them at one point,
flying and two individuals separately flying 30 minutes earlier, but all of
them were too far to confirm.  Immediately after that, I drove to Hillaire
Ln, west of Greenhill road, where a family of Barn Owls had recently been
reported, and while driving that loop I finally got a look at an adult
Western Kingbird feeding a juvenile. I got one picture I particularly like,
though it was still at some distance.

<http://priscillanhk.com/images/King-2.jpg>
Kingbird with juvenile <http://priscillanhk.com/images/King-2.jpg>

Priscilla Sokolowski