[obol] Photos: Ruffed Grouse & Fledgling Three Pools area Opal Creek

  • From: Jim Leonard <photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 16:34:53 -0700

I went to three pools area on Opal Creek last Friday on the 4th of July.
Driving just past three pools on Opal Creek we photographed a Ruffed Grouse
that had several fledglings.  We drove the single lane logging road with
turn outs that goes for 20 miles into the mountains and ends at the bridge
at Detroit Lake.  The wildflowers are at their prime now and there
are beautiful mountain views at the top.  This road is slow going and not
for the faint at heart.  Several areas with at least 1000 foot drop offs.
To get to the Opal Creek area just go highway 22 out of Salem and take the
turn off for the North Fork of the Santiam River at the Gingerbread
Restaurant at Mehama.  The road splits at the sign for the turn off for
the three pools.  Click on link below for Ruffed Grouse photos.  Happy
Birding, Jim Leonard.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108302360004365615395/albums/6033833647162951361?authkey=CMf0kp6WptTbbA