[obol] Re: Peregrine Fledgling at Yaquina Head Today

  • From: Amy Summerfelt <als466@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:35:53 -0500

Thanks for the update, Laura!!

Amy Summerfelt
Waiting to be in Newport

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Laura Paulson <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Eyrie Update:

A day and a half after the previously-reported chick "fledged" (using the
term very loosely), it managed to climb, claw and flap its way back up to
the nest. A couple of close fly-bys of the two-year old that continues to
be seen in the area seemed to motivate the successful attempt. That was
four days ago, mid afternoon.

Yesterday evening, a youngster was seen lunging for food brought in by
adoptive dad. It got the food but fell out of the nest and spent the night
alone ... this time with something to eat at least.

Today brought more excitement at the eyrie ... well, both in and out of
it. Mid-morning, the out-of-the-nest chick clawed and flapped its way back
up and the four were reunited shortly before the male dropped off something
small for them to eat. And just a little while after that, about noon ...
drum roll, please ... one took flight! Maybe 15-20 minutes later, a second
one followed suit.

Two fledglings, two nestlings, one adoptive dad. The drama continues ...

Laura Paulson

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Laura Paulson <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Whoops, I knew I'd get something wrong if I posted. The "new bird" I
mentioned is a 2 year old, not a one year old, and so for, has not been
present today.

Laura Paulson

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Laura Paulson <laura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The Yaquina Head peregrine nest has been mentioned a couple of times
lately and, though there are many more expert than me on the subject, I've
been on the scene for the past 10 days and I thought I would chime in.

There is much drama in the Yaquina Head peregrine eyrie this year. The
genetic father of the young disappeared sometime around egg laying. This
was before I arrived so I'll defer details to those more knowledgeable
except to say the male parent feeding now is not genetically related to the
chicks. Shortly after we arrived, the female parent disappeared as well.
The adoptive dad continues to feed the chicks though food is hastily
dropped off, unplucked and without the beak-to-beak feeding that was done
with the chicks at this stage last year. The nestlings seem to be able to
deal with that okay.

Yesterday's "fledgling" did not likely leave the nest intentionally.
Chuck Philo and I found it out of the nest yesterday morning about 7:30am
and nobody witnessed how it got there. There is a pretty steady human vigil
below the eyrie and nobody has witnessed the out-of-the-nest chick being
fed. This was true again at the 8:30am feeding today.

There is another new bird (believed to be a one-year old) on the scene
at times. It appears small and does not seem interested in the eyrie, nor
has it been observed soliciting copulation or other pair-bonding behaviors
from the male. Still, the male doesn't appear aggressive toward it and we
hope it might be a female that would take on parenting duties. It is easier
to hope than face the possibility of watching chick starvation.

Laura Paulson

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,

This morning (6/9), Wayne Hoffman reported that Chuck Philo saw that
"one of the Yaquina Head Peregrine chicks has fledged."

Range Bayer