[obol] Pelagic results: OCT 18

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 16:43:24 -0700

Birders from 5 states and one province (Judy Meredith. Sheran Wright, Mike
Toochin, Ed Boyd, Jim Stasz, Terry and  Danuta Edwards, Tom Crabtree, Owen
Schmidt, and others and I) did a birding cruise off the Oregon coast on
Saturday.

The rarest birds were 2 ASHY STORM-PETRELS and  2 COOK'S PETRELS.

Only 4 Long-tailed Jaegers were seen, but both of the other jaeger species were
seen much of the day, as were a few South Polar Skuas.

Cassin's Auklets were seen throughout the day, but only 2 Rhinoceros Auklets,
and no other alcids.

Other species seen:

Black-footed Albatross
Pink-footed Shearwater
Sooty Shearwater
Short-tailed Shearwater
Buller's Shearwater  (2)
N. Fulmar
Leach's Storm-Petrel
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel
Herring Gull
Sabine's Gull  (3?)
Arctic Tern (6 only)
Red  Phalarope (numerous)
Red-necked Phalarope

The most surprising thing of the trip to me was the 5 Eared Grebes on the ocean
about 40 miles off the Big Sur coast of central California.

The "whaling" was good off California (where the ocean was much calmer):
1 Blue Whale
Minke, Sei, Fin, Humpbacked Whales
Orca

We also went through miles of water off California where there were frequent
Blue Sharks near the surface.

Jeff Gilligan